Thursday, April 2, 2015

Kale, Brussels Sprout, Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette



Food prep and construction toys.  Yep, that pretty much sums up my afternoons lately.

Also, as a busy mother, wife, woman and whatever other roles I am called into for the day- making a dish that does well as leftovers wins in my book.  And, for the most part- salads are usually excluded from that list.  Except THIS ONE!  I would venture to say, it is even better day after!  Go ahead and make this 1-12 hours in advance, let it sit and marry up.  The "massaged kale" thing was not a fad because people like massages, it's because time is beauty people!  Work that dressing, then walk away and take a nap!

I've boldly made this salad for three different dinner guests now- all of whom had preconceived notions about brussels sprouts!  My mother never made them as a kid growing up.  I think she and my dad ate plenty of stinky mushy sprouts in their lifetime, so it skipped a generation for me and my siblings.  But I admit, I happen to LOVE them.  Roasted.  Pan seared with bacon.  Even grilled with truffle salt (new post coming soon!)  But shaved thin and eaten raw... go ahead and shake it up.  You will not be disappointed!  

Did I mention how much I love this salad? 


Kale, Brussels Sprout, Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

1 bunch of lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped as thin as your pinky finger (about 1 1/2 cup)
2 cups raw brussels sprouts
1 cup quinoa, cooked according to instructions on box/bag
1 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese (if using store bought, use less)

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbls dijon mustard
season well with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper


For the sprouts, after washing them, chop off their nubby ends.  Then slice them into symmetrical halves.  Next, lay them length wise and chop into little half moons.  I admit this step takes the longest, but it's worth it.  Hang in there. 

The quinoa adds texture and protein!

The parm... is just perfectly parm.  And don't sweat the amount!  You are eating raw kale and brussels sprouts for goodness sake!  Pile 'er on.  Plus the salty factor is appreciated on these two green veggies.


Whisk up your vinaigrette.


Dump on and toss WELL.  Taste and season if needed.  Seriously, you can give the salad some time in its dressing!  The acids will soften the greens and it's intentional!


It's starting to heat up here in California.  This salad is best eaten out doors, barefoot, with friends... and construction trucks.


Have a happy Easter everyone!


2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy I'll have to share with the wife. Hope you and your family have a great Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Yes, do share! I can't remember if you guys are doing vegan or vegetarian these days, but I've done this salad without the parm, and it's great too!

      Delete