Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuscan Ragu (a crock pot sauce at it's finest)

I've made this pasta probably 15 times since discovering it a few years ago.  It's so tasty, easy to assemble, great for company and the leftovers are divine.  Have I sold you yet?

Quick personal note: how has so much time gone by since my last post?  Well, my son is getting quicker on his feet, so I guess I am busier than I was in January!  So... less pictures, but still tried and true recipes- cause you know the cooking hasn't stopped over here.

Special thanks to A Spoonful of Thyme for this recipe.  I hardly change the recipe, outside of the canned tomatoes- I prefer petite dice.  I also use about half the cream.  Really, it's one of my family favorites when we want to indulge.



Ya, there is a lot more than cooking going on in my kitchen these days.  Mr. Colton turns one in just a few days...

Tuscan Ragu

Crock pot cook time: 6 hours

2 tbls olive oil
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1 pound ground spicy sausage (feel free to mix this ratio if you would like, but it's really not that spicy, even my 1 year old eats it)
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 28oz can of petite diced tomatoes (get Italian style if you can)
1 28oz can of tomato puree 
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2-1 cup heavy cream


First, brown your sausages together over medium heat.  Then add your onions and garlic and sauté for just a few minutes to soften.


Then pour sausage mixture into your crock pot, add remaining ingredients (except the cream- that goes in just before serving).  Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours.

Just before serving, stir in cream and taste for salt.  Serve over your favorite pasta.  It's about to get messy, and you'll have seconds.  That's a promise.  Now, while your guests are getting more wine, snap a photo before it's all gone!  So much for the photo finish, but I can guarantee the taste will not disappoint.  




1 comment:

  1. Made this for dinner tonight...it was so easy and amazing!!!!! It fed 8 adults easily. The leftovers were being warmed up for a snack several hours later.

    ReplyDelete